This tool helps compare the cost of a traditional solution’s required resources and activities, against the value of comparable natural resources and activities (eco-system services). It is most useful after conducting the ERS Mapping tool, and defining potential natural partnership resources through AskNature.org (Biomimicry 3.8)
1. List the resources needed and costs of a traditional solution. For example:
- 1000 boats to collect garbage USD 500 m
- Energy to fuel boats USD 20 m
- Nets to collect garbage…. etc.
2. List the activities and costs of a traditional solution. For example:
- Locating areas of garbage….billions
- Collecting garbage…. etc.
3. List the equivalent natural resources and value. For example:
- Free natural ocean currents (USD 20 m value)
4. List the equivalent natural services and value. For example:
- Five known ocean garbage patches millions of square kilometers in size